Gramps 4.2 Wiki Manual - Reports - part 3
Back to Index of Reports.
This section describes the Book report available in Gramps.
- 1 Books
- 1.1 Book main dialog
- 1.2 Book second dialog
The Books Report allows you to create a custom genealogy book containing a collection of Gramps textual and graphical reports in a single document (i.e. a Book)
The only report available under this report is the Books Report.
When you select Reports-->Books... from the menu, the main Book dialog appears.
Book main dialog
The main Book dialog has three sections Book name:, Available items and Current book
If all selections of the reports to be included have been made, and possibly configured (or reconfigured) click the OK button. This will invoke another Book Report window.
The Book name: (
New Bookdefault) text entry field shows the name of the current book. Change it and save your custom book (a set of configured selections) for future use, in which case you may first alter the field to contain whatever name you want. If you load a saved-away book (see below) it will show that book's name -- which may then be changed if you want to save a slightly-different configuration.
Book name toolbar
The top horizontal set of set of toolbar icons near the Book name: field operate on the whole book and allow the following functions:
- The Clear the book icon button clears all previously selected Available items items from the Current book section.
- The Save current set of configured selections icon button to save the current book (under the name previously typed in the Book name: text entry field) for future use, if the book name already exists you will be asked if you wanted to Proceed to save over it or you can Cancel and provide another name. Saving the book also saves the configuration for each of the Available items you setup.
- Select the Open previously created book icon button to open the Available Books window which shows all your previously-saved books. In that box either double-click on a particular book name or first select it and then hit OK to then load the book.
- You can also select the Manage previously created books icon button to open a slightly different Available Books window which shows your list of available books, and by using the Delete button you can removed the selected book.
The middle section Available items lists the items available for inclusion in the book.
Available items selections
Almost all items available for inclusion in the book are textual or graphical reports, and are therefore available in the form of standalone reports (see Index of Reports for their individual documentation). The exceptions are the following items which are only available as book items, in a book report:
This item produces page(s) with an alphabetical index of people noted into selected textual reports.
- This item produces a page with three paragraphs, each containing custom text: Initial Text, Middle Text and Final Text. The text input fields are expandable so you can really put all the text you want in there.
The lower window part shows some Document Options: here you can choose the Style. You can choose the default style or click on the Style Editor... button. This brings up a Style Editor window where you can add and remove Styles. For more details see also style editor. This item was meant to be used for epigraphs, dedications, explanations, notes, and so forth.
Table of contents
A Table of contents (TOC) is generated for book as a list of the parts of a book or document organized in the order in which the parts appear.
- If you selected the Title page item and clicked the Add button to put this item in your book and you click Preferences button (Configure currently selected item) you will get a Title Page window.
Two tabs are available: Text and Image. In the Text tab you have three text input fields available where you can change the Title, the subtitle and a Footer (default Copyright 2014).
The lower window part shows some Document Options: here you can choose the Style. You can choose the default style or click on the Style Editor... button. This brings up a Style Editor window where you can add and remove Styles. For more details see also style editor.
In the Image tab an image can be optionally placed between the subtitle and the footer. There is Preview facility and with the from gallery... button you can select via the Select Media Object dialogue the image you want. You can also change the Size
Because of you can configure the various elements , this item can be used to create title pages for the whole book, its chapter, or even a single item.
The bottom section Current book lists the currently selected items in the order they will appear in the book.
Current book toolbar
The bottom right vertical set of toolbar icons beside the Current book section table operate on the sections and allow the following functions:
- Use the + Add an item to the book icon button to add the selected item from the top Available items section list to the Current book section list below. Double-clicking the (top list's) selected item will also add it.
- Use the - Remove currently selected item from the book icon button to remove an item from the bottom Current book section list.
- Use the Up arrow Move current selection one step up in the book icon button to change the order of the selected item in the Current book.
- Use the Down arrow Move current selection one step down in the book icon button to change the order of the selected item in the Current book.
- With the Configure currently selected item icon button you can configure the options of the selected item of the Current book -- but you must select the item first. Double-clicking an item will also start a configuration dialog. The configuration dialog invoked by Configure currently selected item icon button are item-specific. If you choose not to configure the item, some defaults will be used for all needed options. The common option for almost all book items is the center person: the person on whom the item is centered. Thanks to this option, you can create a book with items centered on different people (e.g. your mom's and dad's ancestors as separate chapters). By default, the center person is set to the Active Person.
Book second dialog
You can click the OK button to accept the defaults and start the creation of your custom genealogy book.
There are two section Paper Options and Document Options:
Paper Options where you can change the Size and Orientation for the Paper Format, and all Margins. A click box is available to use metric values instead.
The Document Options section allows you to change the:
- Output Format: drop down menu let you choose between: Open Document Text(default), PDF document or Print....
- Open with default viewer if checked allow you to open in the default viewer eg: LibreOffice Word Processor. (checkbox unchecked by default)
- Filename: if you choose Open Document Text the default value is
/yourhomedir/book.odt, while if you chose PDF document the default value is
|Special copyright notice: All edits to this page need to be under two different copyright licenses:
These licenses allow the Gramps project to maximally use this wiki manual as free content in future Gramps versions. If you do not agree with this dual license, then do not edit this page. You may only link to other pages within the wiki which fall only under the GFDL license via external links (using the syntax: [https://www.gramps-project.org/...]), not via internal links.