Gramps 4.1 Wiki Manual - Settings
|Special copyright notice: All edits to this page need to be under two different copyright licenses:
These licenses allow the Gramps project to maximally use this wiki manual as free content in future Gramps versions. If you do not agree with this dual license, then do not edit this page. You may only link to other pages within the wiki which fall only under the GFDL license via external links (using the syntax: [https://www.gramps-project.org/...]), not via internal links.
- 1 Preferences
- 2 Other settings
- 3 Advanced manipulation of settings
Most of the settings in Gramps, are configured in the Preferences dialog. To invoke it, select the menu Edit ->Preferences....
The tabs on the top display the available option categories.
This tab contains preferences relevant to the general operation of the program. Options are:
- Add default source on GEDCOM import: This checkbox option affects the importing of data. If this is set, each item that is imported will contain a source reference to the imported file.
Adding a default source can significantly slow down the importing of your data.
- Add tag on import: Checkbox (Default:
Imported %Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S)
- Enable spelling checker: This checkbox option controls the enabling and disabling of the spelling checker for notes. The gtkspell package must be loaded for this to have an effect.
- Display Tip of the Day: This checkbox option controls the enabling and disabling of the Tip of the Day dialog at startup.
- Remember last view displayed: This checkbox option controls the enabling and disabling of the the display of the last view. Enabling will bring you to the view where you stopped the program the last time.
- Max Generations for Relationships: You can enter the number of generations used to determine relationships. The default value is
- Base path for relative media paths: Here you can fill in a base path for the media objects. Selecting the Directory button gives you a Select media directory editor where you can fill in the required path.
- Check for updates: Select the frequency that Gramps checks for updates to Addons. Default: Never
- What to check: Default: New addons only
- Where to check: Default:
- Do not ask about previously notified addons: Checkbox selected by default
- Check now: Button to force a check for Addons.
This tab contains preferences relevant to the Family Tree Database path.
- Family Tree Database path: The default path where the Databases are stored is home directory
/.gramps/grampsdb. Unless you absolutely want to change this, stay with the default path. This path will be located in the relevant Operating Systems User Directory.
- Automatically load last database: This checkbox option controls the enabling and disabling of the loading on start up of the last used database.
This tab contains preferences relevant to the display of data and names. Options are:
- Name format: This option controls the display of names. In Gramps there are two type of name display formats: the predefined formats, and the user defined custom formats. Several different predefined name formats are available: Given - Prefix Patronymic, Suffix Given - Prefix Surname, Given Patronymic Suffix etc. Clicking on the righthand side Edit... will bring up a Display Name Editor window where the available list of options is shown. The format is given as well as an example. When predefined formats are not suitable one can define one's own format. You can use the Add button to add a Name format to the list. Clicking once will give you a SURNAME,Given Suffix(call) format and as example : SMITH, Edwin Jose Sr (Ed). If you added new name formats to the list the Remove and Edit buttons become available to change the name format list.
Besides the system wide setting Gramps allows deciding the name display format individually for every single name via the Display Name Editor dialog
Custom name display formats are stored in the databases, thus before loading any database the Custom format details expander is disabled.
- Consider single pa/matronymic as surname: Checkbox unselected by default. If selected enables Gramps to consider patronymic and matronymic names as surnames.
- Date format: This option controls the display of dates. Several different formats are available, which may be dependent on your locale. Default: YYYY-MM-DD (ISO)
- Age display precision(requires restart): Years(default)
- Calendar on reports: Gregorian(default). This option controls the display of calendar on reports, tools, gramplets, views. Several different calendars are available (see Date Edition). Two dates with two different calendars will not properly display timeline or period, (e.g. Using the Gregorian calendar as the default displayed calendar, users will have a better coherency for displaying dates on period).
- Surname Guessing: This option affects the initial family name of a child when he/she is added to the database. The default Father's surname will use the family name of the father. Selecting None means that no surname guessing will be attempted. Selecting Combination of mother's and father's surname will use the father's name followed by the mother's name. Finally, Icelandic style will use the father's given name followed by the "sson" suffix (e.g. the son of Edwin will be guessed as Edwinsson).
- Default family relationship: Unknown(default)
- Height multiple surname box(pixels): Default:150
- Status bar: This option controls the information displayed in the status bar. This can be either the Active person's name and ID(default) or Relationship to home person.
- Show text in sidebar buttons(requires restart) checked (default) This checkbox controls whether or not a text description is displayed next to the icon in the Navigator sidebar. This option takes effect after the program has been restarted.
- Show close button in gramplet bar tabs unchecked(default)
This tab contains preferences relevant to how missing and private names and records should be shown.
- Missing surname: in the input field you can determine how a missing surname should be displayed. Default value is
[Missing Surname]. You can change this to [--] or whatever is most convenient for you.
- Missing given name in the input field you can determine how a missing given name should be displayed. Default value is
[Missing Given Name]. You can change this to whatever you want.
- Missing record: Default:
- Private surname: Default:
- Private given name: Default:
- Private record: Default:
This tab contains preferences relevant to the automatic generation of Gramps IDs.
- Person: Provides the template for generating IDs for a Person. Default value:
- Family: Provides the template for generating IDs for a Family. Default value:
- Place: Provides the template for generating IDs for a Place. Default value:
- Source: Provides the template for generating IDs for a Source. Default value:
- Citation: Provides the template for generating IDs for a Citation. Default value:
- Media Object: Provides the template for generating IDs for a Media Object. Default value:
- Event: Provides the template for generating IDs for an Event. Default value:
- Repository: Provides the template for generating IDs for a Repository. Default value:
- Note: Provides the template for generating IDs for a Note. Default value:
- Date about range: Default:
- Date after range: Default:
- Date before range: Default:
- Maximum age probably alive: Default:
- Maximum sibling age difference: Default:
- Minimum years between generations: Default:
- Average years between generations: Default:
- Markup for invalid date format: Default:
Allows you to Enter your information so people can contact you when you distribute your Family Tree in the corresponding text entry fields. Although Gramps requests information about you, this information is used only so that Gramps can create valid GEDCOM output files. A valid GEDCOM file requires information about the file's creator. If you choose, you may leave the information empty, however none of your exported GEDCOM files will be valid.
The available text entry fields are (by default all fields are blank):
- ZIP/Postal Code:
The information entered under this preference acts as default value for family tree specific values that can be adjusted with the Edit Database Owner Information tool.
This tab controls the display of warning dialogs, allowing the re-enabling of dialogs that have been disabled.
- Suppress warning when adding parents to a child. Checkbox checked by Default
- Suppress warning when cancelling with changed data. Checkbox unchecked by Default
- Suppress warning about missing researcher when exporting to GEDCOM. Checkbox unchecked by Default
- Show plugin status dialog on plugin load error. Checkbox unchecked by Default
This tab allows you to Set the colors used for boxes in the graphical views
Besides Preferences dialog, there are other settings available in Gramps. For various reasons they have been made more readily accessible, as listed below.
The columns of the list views may be added, removed, or reordered in a Column Editor dialog. Only checked columns will be shown in the view. To change their order, drag any column to its desired place inside the editor. Clicking OK will reflect the changes in the appropriate view. To invoke Column Editor dialog, choose via the menu View ->Configure View... or click on toolbar Configure View... button.
Setting Home person
To set the Home person, select the People Category and make the desired person active and then choose via the menu Edit ->Set Home Person.
The Home person is the default person who becomes active when one of the following occurs:
- the Family tree database is opened
- when the toolbar Home button is clicked
- the Home menu item is selected from either the Go menu or the right-click context menu in selected views
- the keybinding ALT+Home is used to return to the Home Person.
The toolbar Home button is available in the People Category, Relationships Category, and Pedigree Category.
Adjusting viewing controls
Whether the toolbar, the sidebar, or the filter (not available on Pedigree and Relationships Views) are displayed in the main window is adjusted through the View menu.
In the different views clicking the View menu will shows for boxes you can click:
- Full Screen F11
Additionally, depending on the view you are in, other options will be available on Configure.
- Set Columns to 1
- Set Columns to 2
- Set Columns to 3
- Show Siblings
- Show Details
- Time period
All other Views: the column editor.
On most Views, displayed data could be exported, choose via the menu Family Trees ->Export View....
Gramps will export data on screen according your choice: CSV or Open Document spreadsheet format.
The example shows an export to a Libreoffice Spreadsheet in the ODS format.
This is a powerful function (no limitations), like a report.
Modularity and plugins
Views are real "plugins" since version 3.2.
Gramps is more modular and flexible.
If you have a report you will see in the top part of the screen the options related that that specific report and in the lower part you will see the Document Options. From a drop down menu you can choose a style. You can make your own style if you click the Style Editor... button.
If you click this button you will get a window with Style name field. You can give this style an adequate name.
On the left hand side you will see the Paragraph section. This section is specific for each report.
The example shows the paragraphs for the Title Page: Footer, Subtitle and Title.
On the right hand side are three tabs:
- Description: The description describes what each paragraph is all about. Here the style used for the title.
- Font options: Here you can set the Type face Roman or Swiss, the Size of the font in pt., the Color of the font and some Options like Bold, Italic or Underline.
- Paragraph options: Here you set the Alignment, the Background color, Indentation, Spacing and Bording of your style.
After all the changes on your own style you can click the Cancel or to save the changes click the OK button.
Advanced manipulation of settings
The contents of this section is outside the scope of interest of a general user of Gramps. If you proceed with tweaking the options on the low level you may damage your Gramps installation. Be careful. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Gramps 4.1 uses INI keys stored in the file gramps.ini under .gramps (gramplets, keys) for managing user preferences.
The list has following sub-items:
- behavior: typical Key names are: betawarn, enable-autobackup, use-tips...
- export: export and import dirs
- interface: a lot of keys regarding height and width of the different Views: e.g. event-height: 450, event-ref-height: 585, event-ref-width: 728, event-width: 712...
- paths: keys related to recent imported files and dirs
- preferences: keys related to preferences: all the common prefixes , todo -colors..
- researcher: all information regarding the researcher