GRAMPS has been designed to use the multi-platform toolsets Python and GTK, a few volunteers have created a Windows installer that has been reported to work without too many obvious issues. But there are currently no GRAMPS developers committed to this platform.
Because the software is not formally tested and we get little feedback about it, we suggest the following:
- Work with a copy of your main database and keep regular backups in the GRAMPS XML format.
- Join the GRAMPS Windows mailing list to share your experiences, especially if you are a developer able to contribute to a Windows port.
- Taip pat žiūrėkite GRAMPS ir OS „MS Windows“ for a collection of hints to run GRAMPS operacinėje sistemoje „MS Windows“
- Close any gtk-based applications that are running, such as the GIMP or Pidgin. See additional note below.
- Install the packages in the following order:
- Python 2.5.1 => python-2.5.1.msi (10.7 MB, from python.org)
- GTK+ 2.10.11 => gtk-dev-2.10.11-win32-1.exe (11.9 MB, from gladewin32, includes glade, see note)
- pygtk 2.10.6 => pygtk-2.10.6-1.win32-py2.5.exe (1.8 MB, from www.acc.umu.se)
- pygobject 2.12.3 => pygobject-2.12.3-1.win32-py2.5.exe (163 KB, from www.gnome.org)
- pycairo 1.2.6 => pycairo-1.2.6-1.win32-py2.5.exe (82 KB, from www.acc.umu.se)
- Re-boot the computer after installing the above dependencies, prior to installing GRAMPS.
- Install GRAMPS for Windows. You can install the last stable version:
Installer complains pygtk is missing
This is a very common error to see when all dependencies are not installed or installed correctly. Please make sure that each of the packages required have installed correctly, and re-boot the computer prior to running the GRAMPS installer. We often see users attempting to use other packages to satisfy these requirements that omit something necessary (e.g., glade) which produce this error.
In rare occasions, the installer will complain that pygtk is not installed even though everything is correct. Canceling and re-running the installer seems to fix this problem, although if it happens repeatedly, the error is the more severe situation discussed above. (Anyone know why? Please tell us on the gramps-windows email list.)
GTK+ diegimo klaida
If you already have GTK+ installed, perhaps because you have installed The GIMP, Pidgin, or Gnu Cash, the GTK+ installer will not be able to write to some files if one of those applications is running. If you see errors with the GTK+ installer, select Cancel, shut down the other GTK+ applications and run the installer again. (This issue has been reported as GTK+ Installer doesn't handle locked files well to the kind people who make the GTK+ installer for windows.)
There are some features of Gramps that need additional programs to work. There are several different kinds of reports, and the following features need extra configuration to work on Windows.
- The Relationship Graph reports (both graphical report and code generator) need an installation of Graphviz. There is a bug in the current stable release, see this example.
- The Relationship Graph can not use PDF as output format unless there is an installation of ghostscript. After installation, if gsview32.exe or gsview32c.exe is in the path, PDF should appear as one of the formats in the graphical Relationship Graph report.
At this time, there is no intent to package all the dependencies and the GRAMPS package into one installer. This creates a very complex coordination condition between GRAMPS and these other projects. It also means a single 30+ MB download every version change.
There have been discussions about trying to install compiled distillations (dynamic link libraries) of these core dependencies to avoid having to install the entire Python and GTK environment, but this work never progressed beyond discussion. For more about this and other Windows issues, see the email list archive.
Taip pat žiūrėkite
- GRAMPS ir OS „MS Windows“ – naudotojų patirtis dirbant su GRAMPS „MS Windows“ operacinėje sistemoje.