What to do for a release
What to do for a release
- 1 Guidelines for version 4.0
- 2 Guidelines for version 3.4 and before
Guidelines for version 4.0
Guidelines for version 3.4 and before
These notes are based on version 3.4.1, released in August 2012. The steps assume a working gramps34 source directory.
Run the following steps:
cd gramps34 svn update cd po make gramps.pot svn diff gramps.pot
If there have been changes, you'll need to commit gramps.pot and ask translators to update their .po files before you can make a release.
Refer to (and update) the list of previous releases to select an appropriate name.
Changelog and NEWS file
Create the changelog files:
svn2cl --reparagraph --include-rev --authors=src/data/authors.xml cd po svn2cl --reparagraph --include-rev --authors=../src/data/authors.xml cd ..
Using the Changelog files generated with svn2cl in the step above, edit and update the NEWS file. Commit the NEWS file. Note the svn commit revision number, which you'll need in the next step when you create the subversion tag:
svn commit -m "update for 3.4.1 release" Committed revision 20254.
Using the previous commit revision number, create a tag for the new release:
svn copy -r 20254 https://svn.code.sf.net/p/gramps/code/branches/maintenance/gramps34 https://svn.code.sf.net/p/gramps/code/tags/gramps-3.4.1 -m "tag 3.4.1" Committed revision 20255.
Working on the tag
Check out the new tag:
cd .. svn co https://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gramps/tags/gramps-3.4.1 cd gramps-3.4.1
Modify configure.in to indicate an official release:
There are two changes to make:
- 1) Change the following line:
-RELEASE=0.SVN$(svnversion -n .) +dnl RELEASE=0.SVN$(svnversion -n .)
- 2) And change this line:
-dnl RELEASE=1 +RELEASE=1
Save these two changes.
svn commit -m "make official release" configure.in
Now run the following and check the version number in the "about" dialog:
./autogen.sh make python src/gramps.py
Changelog and source tarball
Re-create (or copy from above) the 2 Changelog files. The Changelog files are required for the source tarball, but do not commit to subversion:
Create the official source tarball:
Note you should now have the file gramps-3.4.1.tar.gz, approximately 9.6 Mo in size.
Making the source tarball available
- access the "Sourceforge Project Admin->File Manager" page at https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/
- create a new folder in the "Stable" hierarchy
- upload the gramps-*.tar.gz file to the new folder
Announcing the new release
- announce on firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- update News section on this wiki
- update the list of previous releases
- update reference to the new version on the wiki template
- change the topic on the IRC channel #gramps
- update the version number at Wikipedia
- in gramps34, bump the version number in configure.in and src/const.py.in
- in trunk, merge forward the NEWS file