Gramps is a Free Software Project for Genealogy, offering a professional genealogy program, and a wiki open to all. It is a community project, created, developed and governed by genealogists.
- Installation: Install Gramps, the Genealogical Research and Analysis Management Programming System right away. Gramps currently runs on Linux, MAC OS X, and Windows. Guides for installation on all three (plus BSD and Solaris) are available.
- Addons: Extend your installed Gramps with third-party addons to add additional functions. Includes many additional Filters, Tools, Reports, Views, Web Pages, and Gramplets.
- Documentation: Read the User's Manual and reviews, discover the features of Gramps, learn by example or improve your Gramps knowledge with tutorials.
- Genealogy: Learn more about genealogy. What are the best sources, where to find information, how to store it, ...?
Gramps 4.2.4 released.
Gramps team releases version 4.2.4.
A maintenance release.
- 9322: fixes for the PHON, FAX, EMAIL and WWW Gedcom tags to support Gedcom v5.5.1
- use more relative import
- Support for FTM and others Custom Gedcom Event Tags on import
- 9341: fix '_deeprelationshippath' filter rule
- Narrativeweb: some dates are incorrect in tar archive.
- MacOS: Update graphviz to 2.38 and change to a binary launcher in app bundles.
- 8250: Gramps crashes when closed while exporting
- 9596: Some events are not shown in familymaps page.
- 9608: remove old debug bloc on place selection.
- Add GUI and CLI config option to allow easy setting
- 9549 Chinese characters are not rendered properly in pdf reports
- Variety of changes to Media support on gedcom, mostly having to do with embedded OBJE tag lines.
- Support v5.5.1 OBJE/FORM/MEDI tag on embedded OBJE
- Change OBJE/BLOB tag from "not understood" to "Recognized but not supported"
- Detect multiple FILEs in a single embedded OBJE >> v5.5.1 feature not supported
- Changed OBJE/FORM/TYPE to internationalize the data (same as SourceMediaType)
- Corrected XREF/OBJE/FORM to correctly save and use its value (was a typo in original code) and to accept any case.
- Added test for missing title on embedded OBJE, and use filename if missing.
- Added test for missing FILE on XREF style OBJE, with warning like the embedded OBJE.
- Support _PRIM tag to handle primary photo for Legacy Family Tree, Ancestral Quest, Family Origins, MyHeritage Family Tree Builder, and others.
- Some of these changes would have required making patches to six different nearly identical pieces of code. So I combined the similar methods and the two functions they called into a single function.
- Added function to check for a subordinate line with a specific tag, and report unexpected lines as not understood. Used that function in OBJE/REFN/TYPE and OBJE/_PRIM processing.
- Test files imp_FTM_PHOTO.ged and imp_MediaTest.ged have been updated to include testing on these changes.
- 9475: Sorting of Sources on gedcom
- Change "class xxx(object)" to "class xxx"
- Use "with open" instead of "try: except:"
- change "raise NotImplemented" to "raise NotImplementedError()"
- fix Trailing Whitespace on libgedcom.py
- 9427: Add new argument to IsEnclosedByRule
- Narrativeweb: place title must agree the references.place-auto configuration
- 9501: 9499 improvements on CSV file format support
- update Finnish holidays
- 9578: Some strings in tools and report dialogs will not translate
- 9575: Gedcom import improvements in media area to support v5.5.1 and FTM
- Trailing whitespace
- Gedcom import of FTM .ged file containing _LINK tags not supported
- Change pycairo-python3 to pycairo.
- pycairo for python2 is now py2cairo.
- Remove pango modules from bundle, pango no longer uses them.
- 9479: Gedcom import loses spaces in text fields from FTM
- 9580: Gedcom import of FTM file containing _PHOTO tags
- Missed self.photo initializer
- 9362: Attempting to select an "Available item" for the Book Report gives an error
- Fix for either valid or invalid FTM Gedcom
- 9579 Gedcom import of FTM file with OCCU record crashes import
- 9570: crash - 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_child_ref_list'
- 9560: Family Page maps are non-functional in Narrative Web report
- 9479: Gedcom import loses spaces in text fields from FTM
- 9566: String not translated in geoplaces
- 9556: Descendant Report does not recognise auto. place title generation
- 9557: Translated text will not be printed in the program
- 8452: Geography: Attempting to print crashes (add parent to dialog)
- 9124: GEDCOM doesn't accept CR as a line terminator
- Original code used readline() when file was in binary mode; this works
- only if file contains '\n', true only for CRLF and LF line endings.
- Switched to file text mode with correct encoding and universal newline support.
- 9537: Wrong Numeric date format for cs_CZ locale
- 9495: Narrativeweb: inconsistent & incomplete display of place hierarchy labels
- 9494: Narratedweb: surname listing errors for people with multiple partners
- 9517: In "Verify" people w/ death event w/o date are not thought dead
- 9453: While starting gramps, it fails to pop up "tips of the day"
- 9459: GEDCOM import in CLI mode with .ged file containing ANSEL encoding tries to pop up gui
- 9459: fix merge conflict
- 9472: Use first matching name when generating place titles
- 9123: GEDCOM import with media files that have no path fails
- 9474: [Geography] Geoclose and mother handle
- 8729: place names empty if Gedcom ADDR record contains no street
- Tidy up place configuration options
- Use CSS to fade background colour in ValidatableMaskedEntry
- 7949: crash on GEDCOM import with empty _AKA lines
- 9427: Add inclusive option to IsEnclosedBy rule
- 9075: Saving/closing new person window with Alt-o does not find gender
- Fix to allow deferred translation of place type
- 9466: Include all place types in place report
- 9314: Allow place selection both individually and by filter on textual report
- 8785: Expand tree in selectors automatically
- 9381: Fix Encloses gramplet to display correct place references
- Update for appdata stuff
- 9408: UnboundLocalError on ODF doc backend
- 8429: Media Preview: wrong frame
- fix signals
- 9416: GEDCOM import PLAC:FORM in local mode doesn't work
- 9414: fix empty Place Alternate Names on import
- 9448: Merge unit test for PlaceCheck not working correctly
- 9425: GEDCOM import some Place Names & Titles are blank
- 9430: GEDCOM import PLAC or ADDR attached Notes etc. are lost
- 9443: Gramps not appearing in Gnome Software
- 9173: fix broken GEDCOM import PLAC:FORM handling
- 9415: Place Alt Names gets duplicated entries
- 8809: Multiple GEDCOM imports creates duplicate event IDs
- 9417: The place page in webreport is complete mess
- 7390: Gallery tab of Source view does not display .ods files
- 9405: Narrated Web report - Individual sort order not correct on the Surnames tab
- 8981: Specify required GtkSpell and GExiv2 version
- 9377: Narrated web report link to thumbnails is broken on certain pages
- 9389: Narrated Web report - Individual page sort order has changed
- 8563: Gramps reports that it can't find dictionaries.
- Turns out it was really that enchant couldn't find its backend because an environment variable wasn't set.
- Update translations: cs, da, de, fi, fr, hu, pt_BR, ru, sl
See the Changelog.
Gramps 4.2.3 released.
Gramps team releases version 4.2.3.
A maintenance release.
- 9363: Creation of the "graphic calendar report" failed
- Fix "TypeError: 'tuple' object does not support item assignment
- 9335: Fix experienced an unexpected error
- 9316: Unable to build narrated web site
- 9347: [NarrativeWeb report] Places index and Media index are incorrectly sorted
- 9345: Error when trying to create narrative report (residence event)
- 9315: Fix filter set by default on selector, 'Show all' button
- 9320: Detailed Ancestors Report has ? for locations when [private data is excluded]
- 8602: Age in the event family view column is wrong.
- 9278: Crash when dragging multiple media items to clipboard
- 9151: vCal Export File format invalid
- 9294: Error occurs for Complete Individual Report -- complete database
- 9297: Narrated Web Site Report: places page is no longer sorted alphabetically
- 8950: Narrative web: html elements emitted in different order
- 9163: Narrative web: "errno: 1, operation is not permitted" when creating archive.
- 9293: Narrative Web report further stops in error.
- 9242: multiple lines on firstname can corrupt ODT file
- fix gramps XML file via import or export
- 9006, 9111, 9274: fix scrolling in persons view after typing some letters
- 9207: Location on geography view could not convert string to float
- setup.py: make typeout more accurate
- 0743: Searching in people view when surnames are collapsed
- Fix error when changing database in new locations gramplets
- 9178: Error loading Participants add-on in French locale
- Restores setting the stdout encoding to sys.getdefaultencoding() for Python3
- Fix comment about getting the right encoding for stdout.
- 9159: Date format does not match system.
- Make US English a special-case locale, where en_GB is the default for english based locales
- Enhance the Locations gramplet
- New "Encloses" gramplet to the display places that the active place encloses
- 2060: Individuals with incomplete names, not updated when name completed
- 6873 : Children gramplet in Family view does not get updated when a birth/death events are added to a child
- 5417 : Non-image media objects don't appear in the main window gallery.
- 9136: Pressing tab stops at element in gui places
- 9094: Double-clicking on a source in the citation gramplet causes exception
- 9200: "Find text in record" filter crash
- 9153 : Fix vCard Export
- 7619 : Notes used in the "To Do" gramplet are found by the Remove Unused Objects tool
- 9191: Unable to select Unicode
- 9121, 9146, 9162: Cannot import gedcom generated by RootsMagic custom place details ignoring PlaceName()
- 9166: Fix people sorted by surname view
- 9122: Complete Report about person (whole database) - PDF - crash
- Update for travis
- Only consider the values of LC_ALL, LANG, and LANGUAGE, in that order, when choosing the default locale.
- New Icelandic date and relationships handlers
- Fix Finnish translation in keywords of desktop entry
- Update translations: cs, de, el, fi, fr, hu, is, it, ru, sl, sv, uk
See the Changelog.