Hi I'm Duncan
I'm Duncan Lithgow, welcome!
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended that you have but slumbered here while these visions did appear... - Midsummer Nights Dream
What I'm working on
- Genealogy and the Semantic Web: A Guide for Family Historians and Amateur Genealogists[Dead external link!] Archived copy on wayback
Metadata for media files
I want to be able to save GRAMPS data related to a media file to that media file. Here are the relevant links I've found which need to be researched as a start.
- Extensible Metadata Platform "The Adobe Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) is a standard for processing and storing standardized and proprietary metadata, created by Adobe Systems Inc.."
- APE tag "An APE tag is a tag used to add metadata, such as the title, artist, or track number, to digital audio files."
- Extended file attributes "Extended file attributes is a file system feature that enables users to associate computer files with metadata not interpreted by the filesystem, whereas regular attributes have a purpose strictly defined by the filesystem (such as permissions or records of creation and modification times). Unlike forks, which can usually be as large as the maximum file size, extended attributes are usually limited in size to a value significantly smaller than the maximum file size. Typical uses can be storing the author of a document, the character encoding of a plain-text document, or a checksum."
- Resource Description Framework "The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a family of World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) specifications, originally designed as a metadata data model, which has come to be used as a general method of modeling information through a variety of syntax formats."
- Sidecar file "Sidecar files, also known as buddy files or connected files, are a method of storing data (often metadata) which is not supported by the source file format, in external files. For each source file one or more sidecar files can be created. This is in contrast to "metadata databases" where one database contains metadata for several source files."
- Xmp Manager "Xmp Manager is a GUI to manage XMP metadatas on GNU/Linux."
- Exempi "Exempi is an implementation of XMP. Version 2.0.x is based on Adobe XMP SDK 4.1.1 and released under a BSD-style license like Adobe's.
- python-xmp-toolkit "Python XMP/AVM Toolkit is a library for working with XMP metadata, as well as reading/writing XMP metadata stored in many different file formats. The library further includes support for working with Astronomy Visualization Metadata (AVM) - a metadata standard for print-ready and screen ready astronomical imagery based on XMP."