Place database used by GRAMPS
If you want to use your own database, you don't care of licence to use, but what about to re-use existing databases ? See Copyrights.
To create our place database
Why not creating our own place database ? Users sharing place informations. It is possible on GRAMPS 3.0.1 and later :
- Go on place View
- Edit menu -> Column editor
- Check Place Name, Zip, City, County, Country, Latitude, Longitude, Church Parish columns
- go on Family Trees menu -> Export View ...
Copyright (c) YEAR YOUR NAME. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License".
To use existing place structure and data into GRAMPS
To re-use your data stored in an other flat database
- having a place database (txt, csv, xml, bd etc ...) which could be used on open-sources projects (licence)
- to import data into gnumeric (save data on XML gnumeric)
- to assign one format per column (font size="8" for the first column, font size="10" for the second, etc ...)
- to order by name
- to create a new column (1 on the first line, 2 on the second, 3 on the third) then to use automatic filing from the first line to the last one with data.
- to save on XHTML
- to work with "replace" function on your text editor (or grep, sed, awk)
ex: if you don't use autofiling for number, (<xsl:number value="postion()" format="1."/>) generates ordered id for your place object.
You are free: * to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work * to Remix — to adapt the work Under the following conditions: * Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Place completion tool brings the places in your GRAMPS database in accordance with the GRAMPS requirements: batch add country, county; look-up latitude-longitude; set description (title); ...
DO NOT BETA TEST WITH YOUR RESEARCH DATA. EXPORT DATA FIRST TO HAVE A BACKUP, THEN RUN THE TOOL
- Extract Place Data from Place Title (Tools-->Database Processing-->) attempts to extract city and state/province from a place title.
ONLY for United States of America, Canada, France, Sweden.