Organise your files
Here is my method of file organization.
- /srv - I store all my server files in /srv, including WWW and Samba. This is the standard UNIX directory for "Site-specific data which is served by the system."
Then I place all my genealogy related files in a directory call ./Genealogy. The exact path may depend on how you are set up. Here are three different possibilities.
/srv/Genealogy/ /srv/Samba/Genealogy/ - If you use a samba file share. /srv/Samba/Family/Genealogy/ - This has the /Genealogy in a file share of /Family.
This is the structure of /srv/Genealogy:
- ./Books_Published/ All books that I have published, such as "Perkins Family History".
- ./Books_In_Process/ Current book that I am working on.
- ./Doc/ This is the big one where I store all the Media files.
- ./Doc/Book_xxxxx/ I have stored documents such as birth certificated in a three ring binder. These are enclosed in acid free clear sleeves. The "xxxxx" = the name of the binder.
- ./Doc/Book_xxxxx/001-xxxx.jpeg These are the graphics from the book. the first three is the page number of the sleeve. Then a title. This title is the same as I use for the Media title. Hence path is ../Doc/Book_1/031-Birth_Record_Perkins_Gerald.png and Media Title is Birth Record Perkins, Gerald Dana
- ./Doc/Census/ path is ../Doc/Census/california-humboldt-south_fork_township-1920-69-1b.jpeg. Title is Census USA, California, Humboldt, South Fork Township 1920 69 p. 1B
- ./Doc/Head_Shot/ Where I keep an individuals head shot. This is placed in People > Person > Gallery
- ./Doc/Indiana_Marriage_Collection_1800-1941/ Names of different collections. Example shown.
- ./Doc/Media_yyyy/ This is kind of my general catch all. I know, not good. It started to be so large that I started a new one every year. Slowly I have moved some to there proper directories.
- ./Doc/Military/ Example "Registration_Perkins_C_Ray.jpeg"
- ./Doc/Naturalization/ Example "Helwig_Otto.jpeg"
- ./Doc/Object/ These are photos of objects such as "Military_POW_Tag_Helwig_Charles.jpeg"
- ./Doc/Ship_Manifest/ I have been working on the format here. This is a current example sm-philadelphia_rhynland-a-1901-06-16.jpeg
- ./Gramps/ The home of Gramps.
- ./Gramps-yyy-mm-dd/ If I try something that may make a mess of Gramps, I create a backup copy.
- ./Miscellaneous/ Currently store blank Census forms and the like.
- ./Need_To_Process/ Any new files, photos, etc that I need to process into Gramps. Kind of a holding area.