Description of the process Gramps uses to merge two people.
Gramps provides a combination of automated and manual selections when merging people. Once two people have been merged, the combined person replaces all instances of the previous two people in the database.
During the merge process, two people are combined into a single person. It is necessary to select the "resultant person", or the person that remains after the merge is complete. This "resultant person" keeps its primary data (such as name and GRAMPS ID).
- Primary Name
- The "resultant person" keeps its primary name. The name of the other person is added as an alternate name.
- Birth Event
- The "resultant person" keeps its primary birth event, unless the birth event does not exist. The other person's birth event is added as the "Alternate Birth" event if the "resultant person" has a birth event. otherwise, it is used as the primary birth event.
- Death Event
- The "resultant person" keeps its primary death event, unless the death event does not exist. The other person's death event is added as the "Alternate Death" event if the "resultant person" has a death event. Otherwise, it is used as the primary death event.
- The user must select the preferred parents. The user may decide if the merged person is to remain as a child in the other set of preferred parents, or in any other set of parents.
- The user will be able to select the families in which the person should remain a parent. If the user chooses not to include the merged person in a family, the person will be removed from the family.
- GRAMPS ID
- One and only one GRAMPS ID can be selected. The user will be given the option to store the unselected GRAMPS ID as a personal attribute ("Previous GRAMPS ID")
Many items will be combined from the original two people into the merged person. The user will be able to alter the information later by editing the person. This information includes:
- Source References
- Media Objects
- Notes are to be combined into a single note, with the text separated by a blank line.