Mac OS X:Build from source:Native OS X
2.2.x series (Native PPC only)
Gramps on OSX native does just about work. It is not as functional as the X11 version (see ) but it does require less dependencies.
- As far as I know I am the only person ever to have got this to work (let me know if you know different: rjt-gramps (at) thegrindstone.me.uk)
- If you loose your database don't blame me.
- This is in no way a supported port.
You will need gtk and pygtk and these in turn require Python 2.4.4. The only packaged builds of pygtk/gtk that I know of are at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=175176 , these are only for PPC. If you know of any other packaged builds please let me know. The lack of a universal binary package is the only reason why these instructions will not work on Intel Macs.
- install MacPython 2.4.4 from: http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.4/
- install "1.1 (with Glade) for python2.4" from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=175176
Once you unpack gramps you need to make one small change. The pygtk build has a broken cairo so you need to turn off the cairo support in the Pedigree view, otherwise bad things happen.
edit _PedigreeView.py, remove the following lines:
try: import cairo cairo_available = True except: cairo_available = False
replace them with:
cairo_available = False
There is no installer for native OSX at the moment. So to run you need to do the following:
cd src/ python gramps.py
I had to export my database from my existing fink based install into gramps XML format and then import it into the native version. I doubt that the two versions will coexist very nicely. Many things don't work. I know that drag and drop does not work, there are issues with mouse click on menus going missing and anything that calls an external programme will not work e.g. help etc.