This is a Third-party Addon.
Please use carefully on data that is backed up, and help make it better by reporting any comments or problems to the author, or issues to the bug tracker
Graph View is an interactive Charts category view addon that presents a navigable descendant tree using the current active person as a starting point. Clicking another person in the family tree will make that person the active person and will redraw the family tree based on them.
From the Charts category view select the Graph View icon or select View > Graph View from the menu.
Select View > Configure... from the menu to change the following:
- Show images (checkbox selected by default)
- Highlight the home person (checkbox selected by default)
- Show full dates (checkbox unselected by default)
- Show places (checkbox unselected by default)
- Home person color:
- Home person color:
- The active person is highlighted.
- Clicking a person will redraw the family tree based on that person.
- Clicking the active person will show the parent family of the active person, thereby allowing previous generations to be shown.
- The view can be panned by using mouse click and drag. Select the background of the tree and drag the mouse to pan the view.
- Use the Zoom: slider to zoom in or out of the view.
- A right mouse click on a person or family node shows the person or family editor as appropriate.
- Right click a family to add or delete a spouse or child.
- The view redraws in response to changes made to a person or family.
- Save the dot file for a later printing. This will save a .gv file and a svg file. You must select a .gv file.
Before Graph View can be used you will need the following installed:
- Graphviz. If you can run the Gramps Graph reports then you already have this installed.
- PyGoocanvas (Gramps3) or Goocanvas2 or gir1.2-goocanvas (Gramps4)
All of these should be available in common Linux distributions.
For example, Debian packages Goocanvas/PyGoocanvas as libgoocanvas3 and python-pygoocanvas.
- Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)
These packages are not available for Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). You can download these as .deb files from launchpad and install them in the usual manner. You need the Binary packages shown at the bottom of that pages, except for the development libraries.
Please make sure to download these for the proper architecture, like amd64 for 64-bit PCs (Intel included).
You may need to install typelib-1_0-GooCanvas-2_0 as mentioned in issue 8076.
The larger the number of people in the Family Tree
The longer the chart will take to appear eg: about 7000 people takes 10 minutes.