Revision as of 20:51, 18 March 2007 by Robocoder
This Glossary gives an overview of terms that appear in GRAMPS, with a short description, and a link to relevant articles.
For a glossary of genealogical terms, see Genealogy Glossary.
- (sec. obj.) Mailing address of a person or repository. Not to be confused with a place which has a fixed position (it's location). Use this with care. For genealogical research use the residence event coupled with a place. For mailing (email, postal), add an address to a person or repository.
- (event role) A term to refer to an assistant.
- (event role) A term to refer to the woman at a marriage who will be referred to as wife after the marriage. See also: mother.
- (event role) A term to refer to a priest at Eucharist.
- (event role) A term applied to a religious person regardless of religion. For example, a monk or priest. See http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary for more details. See also: celebrant.
- This indicates a user defined type, as opposed to types that are predefined in GRAMPS.
- acronym: Document Type Definition
- An defining moment in a person live. See events for the use in genealogy, see events in GRAMPS for predefined events in GRAMPS and suggested naming for common events.
- event role
- The role a person plays in an event. In GRAMPS an event can be coupled to as much people as wanted. Each person will play a different role. Event role captures this. Some common roles are predefined, others the user can add by just typing in the appropriate role.
- event type
- The general denominator an event belongs to. Eg a christian, civil, tibetan, ... marriage, are all denoted by the event type marriage. See events in GRAMPS for an overview.
- (prim. obj) A Family is a core concept in GRAMPS. It depicts the basic relations between people. Commonly this will contain a father, a mother and some children, however, it con also contain only parts of this (eg. two brothers, a mother and child). People can be part of several families (adoption, remarried, ...)
- (event role) An event can be coupled to a family, denoting that the entire family was involved in the event. Typically the Marriage event will be coupled to a family with event role family
- acronym: Genealogy Data Communication
- a format for exchanging genealogy data
- (event role) A term to refer to the man at a marriage who will be referred to as husband after the marriage. See also: father.
- see event role
- (event role) The term that applies to the people asked to be present at an event so as to be able to testify to its having taken place
- acronym: Extensible Markup Language