Gramps 5.0 Wiki Manual - What's new?
This section gives an overview of changes since Gramps version 4.2 These changes are also detailed later in this manual. Users of Gramps upgrading from earlier versions are encouraged to review this section in older user manuals to be sure to take advantage of these new features when they start using version 5.0.
Before you upgrade
Before you upgrade, make sure your family tree data is secure. The best way to do this is:
- Start Gramps 3.4 or Gramps 4.2
- Open your family tree
- Back up the family tree to the gramps xml format or the gramps xml package format (the gramps xml package includes your photographs and other media files associated with your family tree data). Backup your tree via menu Family Trees->Make Backup....
- Close this family tree and repeat the above steps for any other family trees you have
- Keep the resulting file(s) in a safe place
For more information, please review Backing up a Family Tree.
After properly safeguarding your data, proceed to install Gramps 5.0 using your operating system's regular installation process. In most cases, this will ensure that the new Gramps 5.0 installation will not clash with your older version of Gramps. However, it may be safer to uninstall Gramps 3.4 before installing Gramps 5.0, or make sure you install Gramps 5.0 in a different location. This is always necessary if you are installing from the source code. For more information on installing Gramps 5.0, please see Downloading the latest Gramps
After you install Gramps 5.0, you can open your existing family trees and continue working. In case of problems (e.g., after a complete system upgrade), import the backup file(s) created above to recreate your family tree(s).
Visible changes to the core
Changes visible after the migration: interface, data.
Details of changes to the data model (if any):
- No change
- A Family Tree cannot be opened in Gramps 3.4/4.0/4.1 and Gramps 5.0 without upgrade or downgrade.
- A Gramps XML file generated by Gramps 3.4/4.0/4.1 is not identical to one generated by Gramps 5.0.
- Gramps 5.0 is now python3 only
See detailed changes for more details on internal database.
Reports, Tools, Gramplets
Under the hood changes
- Support python3 only. ( python2 support dropped)
- Need GTK+ 3.10 and pygobject 3.12 or greater versions
- See items related to Gramps 5.0
- Gramps Enhancement Proposals (GEPS) - See Released column for new items implemented in Gramps 5.0
- See items related to Gramps 5.0 on the Gramps issue tracker.
- See additional information see the changelogs for the alpha and beta releases of Gramps:
|Special copyright notice: All edits to this page need to be under two different copyright licenses:
These licenses allow the Gramps project to maximally use this wiki manual as free content in future Gramps versions. If you do not agree with this dual license, then do not edit this page. You may only link to other pages within the wiki which fall only under the GFDL license via external links (using the syntax: [https://www.gramps-project.org/...]), not via internal links.