Gramps 5.0 Wiki Manual - What's new?
This section gives an overview of changes since Gramps version 3.4. These changes are also detailed later in this manual. Users of Gramps upgrading from version 3.4 or 4.1 are encouraged to review this section to be sure to take advantage of these new features when they start using version 5.0.
Before you upgrade
Before you upgrade, make sure your family tree data is secure. The best way to do this is:
- Start Gramps 3.4 or Gramps 4.1
- Open your family tree
- Back up the family tree to the gramps xml format or the gramps xml package format (the gramps xml package includes your photographs and other media files associated with your family tree data). Backup your tree via menu Family Trees->Make Backup....
- Close this family tree and repeat the above steps for any other family trees you have
- Keep the resulting file(s) in a safe place
For more information, please review Backing up a Family Tree.
After properly safeguarding your data, proceed to install Gramps 5.0 using your operating system's regular installation process. In most cases, this will ensure that the new Gramps 5.0 installation will not clash with your older version of Gramps. However, it may be safer to uninstall Gramps 3.4 before installing Gramps 5.0, or make sure you install Gramps 5.0 in a different location. This is always necessary if you are installing from the source code. For more information on installing Gramps 5.0, please see Downloading the latest Gramps
After you install Gramps 5.0, you can open your existing family trees and continue working. In case of problems (e.g., after a complete system upgrade), import the backup file(s) created above to recreate your family tree(s).
Visible changes to the core
Changes visible after the migration: interface, data.
There are changes to the data model:
- New date and language fields on place name
- A Family Tree cannot be opened in Gramps 3.4/4.0/4.1 and Gramps 5.0 without upgrade or downgrade.
- A Gramps XML file generated by Gramps 3.4/4.0/4.1 is not identical to one generated by Gramps 5.0.
- Gramps 5.0 is now python3 only
See detailed changes for more details on internal database.
- Review on GtkBuilder, fix some Gtk3 warnings and move from deprecated methods
- Change icons and buttons handling methods
- New widget: interactive searchbox. Use our own interactive-search box to get it.
- more efficient (binary search on sorted columns).
- customizable (delayed by 150ms launch of search to avoid text scrambling)
- Ability to import KML data into Geography views
- Enhancement for removing multiple selected items from Views (action group)
- Allow to drag a person by dragging the Family label or around Add, Edit, Share buttons.
Add drag support on more Views, Selectors and Editors.
- Add right-click "Copy all" to all QuickTables.
All data from the TreeView, including non-viewed columns.
- Add right-click API to ListModel
- Review Alternate Place handling and edition
- New configuration keys set by user (settings) - Places tab options in Edit > Preferences dialog
- New filter rule: is enclosed by
Reports, Tools, Gramplets
- Consistency on Privacy option for reports
- Consistency on "Name-format" options for reports
- Add DeferredFilter class (a subclass of GenericFilter)
- New textual Report : Note Link Report: Check Links on Notes are valid
- Fix alphabetic index and toc bug in books
- Enhancements on Style Editor
- Enhancements on End Notes into textual reports
- Changes on Individuals complete textual report
- Changes on Ancestors Tree draw report: Include Siblings and ready to go in multiple directions
- Add name-format option, and deferred translation on Records report
- Add deferred translation on Timeline draw report
- Enable attributes gramplet on Source and Citation Views
- Add new place locations gramplet
Under the hood changes
- Support python3 only. ( python2 support dropped)
- Need GTK+ 3.10 and pygobject 3.12 or greater versions
- Optimizations around index, Flat and TreeView models
- More data into example.gramps: custom parent relationship, notes.
- New test file: datetest.gramps
- New module: gen.lib.placename
- All importers return now an ImportInfo object that can hold information about the import.
- Experimental gwplus (geneweb) import file format support
- libgedcom changes ???
- Remove fallback to md5 module, all supported versions now include the hashlib module.
- Removed experimental HTML renderer view
- New test scripts
- Limit usage of markup into messages, better separation of content (str) and style (GUI).
- New Date Handler for Japanese
- Review on Slovenian and Czech Date Handlers
- New translations and date handlers : implement both "traditional" and "simplified" Chinese
- Serbian review
|Special copyright notice: All edits to this page need to be under two different copyright licenses:
These licenses allow the Gramps project to maximally use this wiki manual as free content in future Gramps versions. If you do not agree with this dual license, then do not edit this page. You may only link to other pages within the wiki which fall only under the GFDL license via external links (using the syntax: [http://www.gramps-project.org/...]), not via internal links.