Gramps 3.4 Wiki Manual - What's new?
|Special copyright notice: All edits to this page need to be under two different copyright licenses:
These licenses allow the Gramps project to maximally use this wiki manual as free content in future Gramps versions. If you do not agree with this dual license, then do not edit this page. You may only link to other pages within the wiki which fall only under the GFDL license via external links (using the syntax: [https://www.gramps-project.org/...]), not via internal links.
This section gives an overview of changes since Gramps version 3.3. These changes are also detailed later in this manual. Users of Gramps version 3.3 are encouraged to review this section to be sure to take advantage of these new features.
- 1 Before you upgrade
- 2 Visible changes to the core
- 3 Plugins changes
- 4 Under the hood changes
- 5 Further info
Before you upgrade
Creating an archive alone to safeguard your data might not be appropriate before upgrading. In the unlikely event that Gramps 3.4 corrupts your database, it could also corrupt the archive. An export as outlined in this section is recommended.
Before you upgrade, make sure your family tree data is secure. The best way to do this is:
- Start Gramps 3.3
- Open your family tree
- Export the family tree to the gramps xml format or the gramps xml package format (which includes your photographs and other media files associated with your family tree data). Export your tree via menu Family Trees->Backup....
- Close this family tree and repeat the above steps for any other family trees you have
- Keep the resulting file(s) in a safe place
For more information, please review Backing up a Family Tree.
After properly safeguarding your data, proceed to install Gramps 3.4. Use your operating system's regular installation process to do this. It is also best to uninstall Gramps 3.3 before installing Gramps 3.4, or make sure you install Gramps 3.4 in a different location.
After you install Gramps 3.4, you can open your existing family trees and continue working. In case of problems (e.g., after a complete system upgrade), use the backup file(s) created above to recreate your family tree(s).
Visible changes to the core
Changes visible after the migration: interface, data.
- Storing data from large sources.
- Citations support and sharing feature make citation edition consistent: adding citation now needs less dialogs.
- Improvements on image selection feature.
- New 'Default family relationship' option value (Preferences)
More details and improvements on Gedcom file format importation.
Everything about the plugins: import/export, gramplets, views, reports, tools.
- Citations support on file formats
- Improvements on Gedcom file format support
- output file formats
Improvements : RTF, ODF, LaTeX, cairo (PDF, Print...)
- support image sections on textual reports
- Citation support and source review (NarrativeWeb report, etc ...)
- Paper options
Consistency rules on paper values, orientation and file format (options set by user)
- Alphabetical Index and Table Of Contents (TOC) features on book report
- Improvements, bug fix, consistency on age calculation, etc ...
- Media gallery, thumbnails
- hyperlink menu for screen readers and braille writers
- New citation category
- Add of a citation tree view into the Source category (like Persons, Places categories)
- Size adjustments on Main, Navigation, Bottom and Side bars
- A new tool for merging our citation records: MergeCitations.
- Review on some Repair Family Tree tools
Under the hood changes
Technical stuff (gui/gen).
Command Line Interface
Improvements, consistency, optional translation
Gramps XML file format and database
- Citations support
- Gramps XML is now idempotent.
Exporter do not change records order, making easier to look at differences between versions/revisions.
Reports and tools have user classes. These classes provide a means to interact with the user in an abstract way. These classes should be overridden by each respective user interface to provide the appropriate interaction (eg. dialogs for GTK, promts for CLI).