Getting started with Gramps master
GRAMPS 3 is the newest version of GRAMPS, but it isn't quite finished. It is in a state called "beta" which means that it is nearly done, but there are still places that need some refinement. You can help by trying this version and reporting feedback and bugs. Before embarking on this you should first read this page.
What's new in GRAMPS 3?
There are many changes in GRAMPS 3. This section briefly describes the changes and their implications.
New Family Tree Database
- Quick Views - in most lists, you can right-click and run a Quick View. Further, on a Quick View you can double-click and entry and be taken to the associated object to view or edit. Quick View lists are also sortable on their columns
- Gramplets - Gramplets is an experimental new main view in GRAMPS. These are little interfaces to GRAMPS functionality. There are Gramplets that allow you to compute ages on a particular date (Age on Date), see events on a day in history (Calendar), see the top surnames in your Family Tree (Top Surnames), a TODO list, Python shell (with date calculator), a Session Log, and more.
- Notes - There is now a sophisticated method for attaching notes to any object, and a new Notes main view, complete with filter to find exactly what you're looking for
GRAMPS 3 should only be used on a copy of your Family Tree data! Here is a step-by-step guide to doing this:
- Start your old version of GRAMPS
- Export your data using the GRAMPS Package
- Quit your old version of GRAMPS
- Start GRAMPS 3.0
- Create a new Family Tree
- Import the GRAMPS package from step 2
Can I run my older version of GRAMPS with this new version?
I have a suggestion or have found a bug. What do I do?
Can I help finish GRAMPS 3?
Yes! There is much left to be done. You could:
- Help write documentation on how to use GRAMPS 3. See Gramps 3.0 Wiki Manual
- Help translate GRAMPS into another language. See Internationalization
- Test and follow-up on issues in the tracker. See http://bugs.gramps-project.org/
- Donate money to GRAMPS. See GRAMPS Support
Installing GRAMPS 3
Now that you have read all of the precautions, you are ready to begin exploring GRAMPS 3. The easiest method of getting the beta version is to download it from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=25770 under Unstable.
If you are running Linux and a variation of Debian (Ubuntu), then you can download the .deb file and install it directly.
Otherwise, you should download the tar.gz file. Here is the basic installation instructions, assuming that the tar.gz file is in your current directory:
tar xfz gramps-2.90.0-beta.tar.gz cd gramps-2.90.0-beta ./configure --prefix=/usr/local make su -c "make install"
You can then run /usr/local/bin/gramps