GEPS 030: New Visualization Techniques
The purpose of this GEP is to discuss new visualization techniques for possible inclusion in Gramps.
At present Gramps offers two graphical visualizations of genealogical data as views:
- 20120909 - Updated for unreleased Gramps 4.0, see Blog Report 1 Blog Report 2 & Video Demonstration: Reference paper
- Classic family tree(s)
- Ancestor Tree
- Descendant Tree
- Family Descendant Tree
- GraphViz based
- "Non-standards" Addons
As well as a graphical default gramplets:
- Fan Chart Gramplet
- "Textual bloc/area/tree informations" gramplets
In the last few years papers have been published describing new visualization techniques.
Family trees are presented in the form of a grid.
Feature request "4649: GeneaQuilts visualization integration" asks for this functionality.
A video, demonstration software, and a paper describing the technique can be found on the Aviz website.
Status: A Gramps implementation is currently being written (Nick Hall)
This is a type of timeline tree.
Wilfried Trabold pointed this out on the gramps-users mailing list in December 2010. Gerald was in a side-discussion with the authors to explore the possibility of working together to include this in Gramps.
Status: Not known.
This is a method of combining graphs in a single display.
- Bi-directional top-down node-link diagrams
- Used for navigating genealogical graphs (family “trees”)
A structured, space-efficient technique for pedigree visualization (to display ancestral trees).
A structured, space-efficient technique for pedigree visualization (to display ancestral trees), using colors and symbols. This type of tree is often used for medical usage.
- Visualization in Genealogical Data (Jesus Miguel de la Fuente)
- GeneaQuilts project
- GeneaQuilts: A System for Exploring Large Genealogies (A. Bezerianos, P. Dragicevic, J.-D. Fekete, J. Bae, B. Watson)
- A list of publications relating to Quilts
- Tracing Genealogical Data with TimeNets (Nam Wook Kim, Stuart K. Card, Jeffrey Heer)
- Family Tree Visualization
- Rhizome Navigation - used to create animated visualizations of large genealogy data sets.
- Geospatial Genealogy: Visualizing and Exploring Ancestral Place
- large-scale genealogical history
- The H-Tree, PEDVIS: A structured, space-efficient technique for pedigree visualization
- Pedigree and mathematics (in french)
- 4649: GeneaQuilts visualization integration
- 2611: Alternative Genealogy Graphs - Original idea for Fan Chart, Dual Trees, and other ideas
- 4169: To generate a numbering class for mapping indiviuals according to start person (temp snapshot) and for generating Pedigrees, Charts, Gramplets, Tools with duplicated ancestors match support.
- 815: I would like to have a graphical view of relationships
- 6048: Descendants View, a "reverse" Pedigree
- 3590: Relationships domain
- 4564: Ancestor Medical Record
- 2218: Medical genetics
- Alternate FanChart