GEPS 030: New Visualization Techniques
The purpose of this GEP is to discuss new visualization techniques for possible inclusion in Gramps.
At present Gramps offers two graphical visualizations of genealogical data as views:
- Classic family tree(s)
- Ancestor Tree
- Descendant Tree
- Family Descendant Tree
- GraphViz based
- "Non-standards" Addons
As well as a graphical default gramplets:
- Fan Chart Gramplet
- "Textual bloc/area/tree informations" gramplets
In the last few years papers have been published describing new visualization techniques.
Family trees are presented in the form of a grid.
Quilts allow the visualization of large genealogies up to several thousand individuals, by using a diagonally-filled matrix, where rows are individuals and columns are nuclear families.
A video, demonstration software, and a paper describing the technique can be found on the Aviz website.
Status: See Feature request "4649: GeneaQuilts visualization integration"
This is a type of timeline tree.
TimeNets, enable analysis of families over time, by prioritize temporal relationships, in addition to the family structure. Individuals are represented using timelines that converge and diverge to indicate marriage and divorce; directional edges connect parents and children.
Note: Wilfried Trabold pointed this out on the gramps-users mailing list in December 2010. Gerald Britton was in a side-discussion with the authors to explore the possibility of working together to include this in Gramps.
Status: Not known.
This is a method of combining graphs in a single display.
- Bi-directional top-down node-link diagrams
- Used for navigating genealogical graphs (family “trees”)
A structured, space-efficient technique for pedigree visualization (to display ancestral trees).
The H-tree based layout can be used to display ancestral trees. This layout increases the number of displayable generations, via a symmetrically arranged structure, provides the the user with an overview that allows them to understand and navigate through the data.
A structured, space-efficient technique for pedigree visualization (to display ancestral trees), using colors and symbols. This type of tree is often used for medical usage.
- Visualization in Genealogical Data (Jesus Miguel de la Fuente)
- Family Tree Visualization
- Rhizome Navigation - used to create animated visualizations of large genealogy data sets.
- Geospatial Genealogy: Visualizing and Exploring Ancestral Place
- large-scale genealogical history
- The H-Tree, PEDVIS: A structured, space-efficient technique for pedigree visualization
- Pedigree and mathematics (in french)
- Wright-Fisher model and Kingman coalescent (in french)
- 815: I would like to have a graphical view of relationships
- 864: Family Wheel - input UI
- 1373: Want a complete graphical view, like in Kith and Kin
- 2218: Medical genetics
- 2266: Different modes in Pedigree view
- 2611: Alternative Genealogy Graphs - Original idea for Fan Chart, Dual Trees, and other ideas
- 2668: Vertical graphical descendencies
- 3590: Relationships domain
- 4169: To generate a numbering class for mapping individuals according to start person (temp snapshot) and for generating Pedigrees, Charts, Gramplets, Tools with duplicated ancestors match support.
- 4564: Ancestor Medical Record
- 4649: GeneaQuilts visualization integration
- 5329: Please offer relationship graph with timeline
- 6048: Descendants View, a "reverse" Pedigree
- 6486: When first cousins marry
- Alternate FanChart