GEPS 026: Replace 'make' for Gramps build
- The core Gramps developers do not know GNU Make, which was the case also in the past. Somebody of a company with expertise contributed the make system to Gramps.
- With GNU Make developers need to update makefiles when adding and changing files.
*With setup.py developers only need to worry about changing directories; this is simpler to maintain.
- With GNU Make from time to time it happens that a new file is forgotten to be added in a release, causing maintainance overhead for the release manager.
- Gramps is pure python, we don't need a makefile system checking for a lot of things it is checking now.
- We need less dependencies for installing Gramps in linux.
*Already on windows makefiles are not used.
- An increasing number of projects that need GNU Make switch to CMake, ..., we should not stay with old technology just because it was already present
- PEP 345: Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2
- PEP 376: Database of Installed Python Distributions
- PEP 386: Changing the version comparison module in Distutils
- PEP 390: Static metadata for Distutils