GEPS 026: Replace 'make' for Gramps build
Revision as of 01:06, 25 March 2012 by Romjerome (moved GEPS-0065: Using Setup to GEPS-0042: Using Python Distutils)
- the core developers don't know Make, which was the case also in the past. Somebody of a company with expertise contributed the make system to Gramps.
- we need to update makefiles when adding changing files. With setup.py you only need to worry about changing directories, so simpler
- with make it happens from time to time that a new file is forgotten to be added in a release, causing overhead for the release manager
- gramps is pure python, we don't need a makefile system checking for a lot of things it is checking now
- we need less dependencies for installing gramps in linux. Already on windows makefiles are not used
- more and more projects that need make switch to cmake, ..., we should not stay with old technology just because it was already present