GEDCOM stands for Genealogical Data Communications and is a file format specification developed by the Family and Church History Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It allows different genealogical software programs to share data with each other.
- GEDCOM From Wikipedia
- GEDCOM 5.5 (Envoy, pdf, html)
- GEDCOM 5.5.1 draft (pdf)
- GEDCOM 6.0 beta (pdf) - Note - this effort appears to have been abandoned
- gedchk (perl), gedchk.exe
- GEDitCOM "Torture Test" files
- ANSEL and Unicode GEDCOM sample files
- Calico Pie's GEDCOM Coverage Test
Converting ANSEL to Unicode and back
- GRAMPS exports and imports ANSEL GEDCOM, but not all codes are supported. Test the output on the character ? which is used if a character is not understood
- Perl MARC::Charset module: Available on cpan, and well supported . Can convert MARC8 to Unicode and back. As ANSEL is a subset of MARC8 (consisting of the (extended) latin characters) it will convert all ANSEL GEDCOMS to Unicode. (:arrow:) More info, and a script that can convert: see attachment to bug 831.
- marc4j - Java implementation of a convertor, also MARC8 to Unicode. Unclear if it converts correctly combined unicode characters.
- ANSI/NISO Z39.47-1993(R2002)
- Library of Congress, MARC specification tables
- MARC proposal 2006-09, Lossless technique for conversion of Unicode to MARC-8
- MARC proposal 2006-04, Technique for conversion of Unicode to MARC-8
Unofficial ANSEL to Unicode conversion lists
These cover the original ANSEL spec, now preseded by MARC8.
- ANSEL to Unicode by Thomas Berger
- ANSEL to Unicode by Heiner Eichmann
- Latin Characters in Unicode and ANSEL