Your installation of Gramps should include an example family tree database. This is used to provide a known stable environment for testing, for working through tutorials, and for experimenting.
If you think you have an issue/bug in your Family Tree/database, try the same operation with the example family tree. If the problem happens there as well, then it is probably not due to a corruption in your data.
Follow these steps to load the example family tree:
example.grampson your system. For example:
- on Linux
/usr/share/doc/gramps/example/gramps/. If the file is named
example.gramps.gz, rename it to
example.grampsand gramps will recognize it. You can copy this file to a temporary location or import it directly from this directory.
- on MS-Windows AIO
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-X.X.X\share\doc\gramps\example\gramps(On MS-Windows ensure you can see hidden files; see User Directory:MS Windows)
- On Apple MacOS the example database is not included in the MacOS AIO(All in one package) and you may download the files from https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/tree/maintenance/gramps50/example/gramps and import the Family Tree. (On MacOS ensure you can see hidden files; see: User Directory:Mac OS X)
- on Linux
- Start Gramps
- To create a new family tree Family Trees > Manage Family Trees... select the New button. Give it some name, such as example
- Open this new family tree. It will be empty.
- In Gramps, use Family Trees > Import... to import
- Import Statistics of the example.gramps family tree
Number of new objects imported:
Media objects with relative paths have been imported. These paths are considered relative to the media directory you can set in the preferences, or, if not set, relative to the user's directory.
Connecting to the example Media Objects
There are seven example Media Objects (JPEG and PNG images) provided but the relative media path starting point (the Base Path) hasn't been defined in the Preferences. So these images won't be displayed until the media path has been re-defined. The media path can be reset now or if starting to experiment with images.
- In Edit > Preferences, change the Base path for relative media paths: in the General tab. This could be in a new directory, to keep it separate to your own family tree media. (eg On Linux
- Copy the media files from the example directory (that you found in step 1, above) to this media path directory.
The example.gramps family tree data file
Alternately, a replacement Gramps example.gramps XML family tree database file (without the Media Objects) can be downloaded from the GitHub file store.