Your installation of Gramps should include an example family tree database. This is used to provide a known stable environment for testing.
If you think you have an issue/bug in your Family Tree/database, try the same operation with the example family tree. If the problem happens there as well, then it is probably not due to a corruption in your data.
Follow these steps to load the example family tree:
example.grampson your system. For example:
- on Linux
- on MS-Windows AIO
C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-X.X.X\share\doc\gramps\example\gramps(On MS-Windows ensure you can see hidden files; see User Directory:MS Windows)
- on Apple MacOS
/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/gramps(On MacOS ensure you can see hidden files; see: User Directory:Mac OS X)
- on Linux
- On Linux open
example.gramps.gz, and extract
example.grampsto a temporary location.
- Start Gramps
- To create a new family tree Family Trees > Manage Family Trees... select the New button. Give it some name, such as example
- Open this new family tree. It will be empty.
- In Edit > Preferences, change the Base path for relative media paths:. This could be in a new directory, to keep it separate to your own family tree media. (eg On Linux
- Copy the media files from the example directory (that you found in step 1, above) to this media path directory.
- In Gramps, use Family Trees > Import... to import