Conversion from Subversion to Git
- 1 Repository Changes
- 2 Code Changes
- 3 Bug Tracker Changes
- 4 Documentation Changes
Git uses hashes rather than revision numbers. We plan to keep the subversion revision number in the commit messages, but convert it into a shorter more readable format.
It will be possible to find a subversion revision with:
git log --grep=<revision>
Git does not have file-level properties. Instead, file attributes can be defined in the .gitattributes file.
Line ending characters (CRLF/LF) and file types (text/binary) can be defined in the .gitattributes file. This will replace the svn:eol-style and svn:mime-type properties.
The svn:ignore properties are replaced by the .gitignore file. This is already present for users of the git mirror.
It is not easy to implement useful keyword expansion of $Id$ in git, so we don't propose to do so. The same information can be obtained with:
git log -1 <path>
Rename "trunk" to "master".
We want to minimize the time window when the commits are not possible during the transition. At some point we'll switch the old SVN repo to read-only mode --- this will be announced on the devel list.
Can we push our commits from the git repositories that tracked John's repo with git-svn, maybe this should be set up as an interim approach?
Convert get_svn_revision to get_git_revision
The function to return the latest svn revision number needs to be replaced by one to return the latest commit hash.
- gramps/gen/svn_revision.py -> gramps/gen/git_revision.py - DONE
- gramps/gen/const.py - DONE
- src/configure.in (gramps34 only) - DONE
Code to skip .svn directories
Two files have code for skipping subversion directories:
- gramps/plugins/tool/mediamanager.py - DONE
- gramps/test/regrtest.py - DONE
We can remove this code at some point. Git does not pollute the source code tree with its files.
Repository url needs changing
Three files contain the repository url:
- gramps/gen/config.py - gramps-addons
- gramps/gen/db/__init__.py - DONE
- gramps/webapp/init.py - DONE
Change svn2cl -> git2cl
There is a reference to svn2cl in the about dialog. There is a git alternative available at http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/git2cl/.
- gramps/gui/aboutdialog.py - No change required
Headline News gramplet
Change url to point to Git repository. - DONE (gramps40 and master)
Bug Tracker Changes
Rename the "Trunk" project to "Master".
The main changes required will be to the developer wiki pages:
- Brief introduction to SVN -> Brief introduction to Git - DONE
- Getting started with Gramps development - DONE
- Running a development version of Gramps - DONE
- Committing policies - DONE
- What to do for a release - DONE
- Development using Eclipse and Pydev - DONE
- Getting started with Gramps Trunk
Other wiki pages that will require minor changes:
- Installation alternatives - DONE
- Translating Gramps - DONE
- Coding for translation - DONE
- Translation environment4 - DONE
- Manual Generation - DONE
- Using the bug tracker - DONE (still refers to Trunk Project on the bug tracker)
- Bug triage - DONE (still refers to Trunk Project on the bug tracker)
- GEPS 013: Gramps Webapp: Initial Thoughts - DONE
- GEPS 013: Gramps Webapp - DONE
- GEPS 023: Storing data from large sources - DONE
Pages requiring changes when gramps-addons is converted: