- GNOME Accessibility provides some guidances:
- KDE accessibility team is a small on-line community of developers and other volunteers dedicated to ensure that our favorite desktop is accessible to all users, including those of us with physical handicaps.
- AEGIS acronym stands for Open Accessibility Everywhere: Groundwork, Infrastructure, Standards.
- Possibility project is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating groundbreaking open source software for persons with disabilities.
Gramps aims to provide the best accessibility support. Unfortunatly, all parts of the interface have not been always tested for persons with disabilities. Gramps team try to do its best for a complete accessibility support.
- Gtk label
GtkLabel automaticaly generates accessibility keys on next GtkEntry and UndoableEntry fields. Remember that Gramps also uses custom widgets like StyledTextEditor and ValidatableMaskedEntry, which do not always provide relation with a GtkLabel.
- Toggle buttons and Icons on toolbar
Gramps often uses toggle buttons and alone image (no label), this excludes blind people and generates a poor interface for accessibility.
- set a name for a button with image => like atk_object_set_name()
- alternative to tooltip is the description => like atk_object_set_description()
- for all images and icons use something => like atk_image_set_description()
- a label for other widget should use mnemonic_widget() or a relation => like atk_relation_set_add_relation()
TODO need to look further for better tricks (previous and next sections) and use of tooltip with ATK.
Think on accessibility support for widgets without Gtk label or alone image on a toggle button, by adding:
<property name="AtkObject::accessible-name" translatable="yes" comments="">Name access</property> ... <accessibility> <relation type="labelled-by" target="label209"/> </accessibility>
# mark the root of this window with its PID so we can easily identify it # as this app root_atk = atk.get_root() root_atk.set_description(str(os.getpid()))
label_acc = label_widget.get_accessible() entry_acc = entry.get_accessible() label_acc.add_relationship(atk.RelationType.LABEL_FOR, entry_acc) entry_acc.add_relationship(atk.RelationType.LABELLED_BY, label_acc)