page is for the discussion of a proposed enhancement of GRAMPS by adding tags.
== Analogy with mails ==
* '''Notes''': For example "notes in progess", or "notes in german",
* '''Media''': For example "Picture belonging to Uncle Alfred".
== Operations with tags ==
== Prototype ==
A prototype can be downloaded from [http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=3880 Feature Request #3880] as a patch. It is intended to demonstrate the functionality of an interface and to investigate some design ideas.
It has the following functionality:
The prototype stores tags as custom attributes with no value. Tags can be added and removed from people by using the standard functionality of the person editor.
[[Image:custom_attributes.png|left|thumb|350px|Fig. 1.1 Edit custom attributes with no value]]
[[Image:add_tag.png|right|thumb|350px|Fig. 1.2 Set a tag on Person via Menu]]
== Proposed design ==
* A tag maintenance dialog to organize tag names and colors. This could be similar to the "Organize Bookmarks" dialog.
* Storing tags in a new field will require new functionality to be added to the editors.
=== Questions ===
* Should the new tags replace existing marker functionality?
* A tag will be lost if an object is tagged when its editor is open and then "OK" is clicked in the editor. Do we need to think about this?