Specification:Place completion tool
(Redirected from Place completion tool specification)
This is the specification for the non official Place completion tool.
The place completion tool allows the user to manage his places and change data on a set of places with one button action.
- The view should contain a place filter, which determines which places are processed by the tool
- an entry box to allow to parse the place title and assign values to the different attributes. Usefull regular expressions:
|Albany, NY||\s*(?P<city>.+?)\s*[.,]\s*(?P<state>.+?)\s*$||city = Albany, State = NY|
|Brussels (B)||\s*(?P<city>.*?)\s*\(\s*(?P<country>\w+?)\s*\)\s*$||city = Brussels, Country = B|
- a comboentrybox, together with a Filechooser. The users selects in the filechoser the file in which to search data about a place, the comboentrybox allows to give the correct regex expression to search the file. Clicking on the combobox gives some predefined regex expressions allowing to search free resources. Possible resources:
- GNS, Geonet names server. Contains data about all countries except USA, also in localised variants of the names. The data can be downloaded freely with ftp (180 Mb)
- Geonames. Data about all countries can downloaded freely.
- American data state wise from geonames : download
- OpenGeoDb might be worth watching, however this involves querying an SQL database. They have however also free GIS data like polygon maps (boundaries of places).
- A combobox with predefined formats of latitude in longitude. Suggested: Convert to decimal notation (-53.12364874), convert to degree notation ( 50°59.60"N), convert degree notation with minus to valid degree notation (-50°59.60" to 50°59.60"S)
- The above filters, look-ups and parsings are done on clicking a Find action button
- The results are shown in a Treeview, listing the places, with as children the changes that are suggested. The user can do the following actions on the view:
- press delete, to delete the changes proposed in the view
- double click on a top node to call up the place editor, with all children pre-entered. On clicking save, the changes are written to the database
- double click on a child node to call up the place editor with only the suggestion in the child shown in the editor
- An Apply button is given. On clicking the buttons, all suggested changes in the treeview are in a batch process written to the database.
- Help and Close buttons have the expected behaviour