2021-12-04 - Sorry the Gramps wiki is currently being upgraded to a newer software version. Please check back after the 2021-12-08. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Indicate a divorce
- How do I represent a divorce?
- I want to indicate that two people are divorced, yet Gramps does not have a Relationship type of Divorced. How do I represent this?
- Divorced is not a relationship type. Instead, it is an event status that terminates the relationship. If two people are divorced, it does not change the fact that they had a relationship type of Married. Divorce, like Death, is one way in which a marriage is terminated. Just as when widowed the death of a spouse does not change the fact that two people were married, a divorce does not change the fact that two people were married.
Other Civil or Marital Status possibilities are:
Indicate a divorce in Gramps
So in Gramps to represent the marriage status that ended in divorce:
- Create a family
- Add both spouses
- Set the relationship type to Married
- Select the Events tab
- Add an Event of type Marriage
- Add an Event of type Divorce