There is no registration required to read this wiki or download and install Gramps. You only need an account to edit this wiki.
GEDCOM stands for Genealogical Data Communications and is a file format specification developed by the Family and Church History Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It allows different genealogical software programs to share data with each other.
- GEDCOM From Wikipedia
- GEDCOM 5.5 (Envoy, pdf, html)
- GEDCOM 5.5.1 draft (pdf)
- GEDCOM 6.0 beta (archived pdf) - Note - this effort appears to have been abandoned and the PDF (http://www.familysearch.org/GEDCOM/GedXML60.pdf) document link is invalid on the sponsoring FamilySearch website.
- gedchk (perl), gedchk.exe
- GEDitCOM "Torture Test" files
- ANSEL and Unicode GEDCOM sample files
- Calico Pie's GEDCOM Coverage Test
- VGed (Windows OS)
- Gedcom Validation by Tamura Jones.
Converting ANSEL to Unicode and back
- Gramps exports and imports ANSEL GEDCOM, but not all codes are supported. Test the output on the character ? which is used if a character is not understood
- Perl MARC::Charset module: Available on cpan, and well supported . Can convert MARC8 to Unicode and back. As ANSEL is a subset of MARC8 (consisting of the (extended) latin characters) it will convert all ANSEL GEDCOMS to Unicode. (:arrow:) More info, and a script that can convert: see the attachment to bug 831.
- marc4j - Java implementation of a convertor, also MARC8 to Unicode. Unclear if it converts correctly combined unicode characters.
- ANSI/NISO Z39.47-1993(R2002)
- Library of Congress, MARC specification tables
- MARC proposal 2006-09, Lossless technique for conversion of Unicode to MARC-8
- MARC proposal 2006-04, Technique for conversion of Unicode to MARC-8
Unofficial ANSEL to Unicode conversion lists
These cover the original ANSEL spec, now preseded by MARC8.
- ANSEL to Unicode by Thomas Berger
- ANSEL to Unicode by Heiner Eichmann
- Latin Characters in Unicode and ANSEL