Fanchart in 4.0, what features?
I don’t know if the fanchart has many fans. I don’t really use it myself. However, with the Gtk 3 conversion, I had to jump into the code to make it ready for Gramps 4.0. Now that I understood the code somewhat, I thought, what the heck, let’s add some features I learned from converting the pedigree. So I did some code cleanup, and started adding some features
- When hover over a cell, a tooltip is displayed with name, date and place of birth, date and place of death
- The fanchart is now shown in a scrolled view. So normally you can scroll the view to see pieces of the fanchart not visible
- Translating the fanchart in the view remains possible, however, now only from the black dot in the center. In 3.4 the entire center person can be used to move the chart
- The reason for the above limitation, is that now you can drag a person from the chart to the clipboard. So the center person can now be dragged from the white area to the clipboard. Like this, the behavior is like on the pedigreeview.
What other features?
There are some other things that are possible, but as I haven”t used fanchart myself, you should let me know if they are interesting. Some ideas:
- Allow a config to use only colouring of male/female/unknown like in the pedigreeview. I think that might be nice also. In Gramps 4.0 the box color for male/female can be set in the preferences
- Allow drop of person on the chart. Dropping a person could have two actions: add as child of shown parents, or add as parent. Perhaps even nicer if we show one section of empty boxes, so that you could drop the parent immediately in a box? I think this would be nice, but on the other hand, who will ever create families in this way?
- Add a diamond on the intersection of a person and it’s two parents. Right click on the diamond could then be context menu to edit the family instead of the person. And we could show alternative parents there. Eg, birth parent could be filled black side, otherwise empty, and some indication if there are more than 1 family (eg circle instead of diamond)
Any other ideas? Any of my ideas you think would really be helpfull?